Building a Stellar SharePoint Development Team
SharePoint is a powerful platform that allows organizations to create websites, intranets, and collaboration tools. Whether you are building a SharePoint website, intranet, or custom application, having a skilled and efficient development team is crucial for success. In this article, we will discuss the key factors to consider when building a stellar SharePoint development team.
1. Hiring a SharePoint Development Agency
One of the first steps in building a stellar SharePoint development team is hiring the right SharePoint development agency. Here are some key factors to consider when selecting an agency:
- Experience: Look for an agency with a proven track record in SharePoint development. They should have experience in building SharePoint websites, intranets, and custom applications.
- Expertise: Ensure that the agency has a team of skilled SharePoint developers who are proficient in SharePoint development technologies such as SharePoint Online, SharePoint on-premise, and SharePoint Framework.
- Portfolio: Review the agency’s portfolio to see examples of their previous SharePoint projects. This will give you an idea of their design and development capabilities.
- Client Reviews: Read client reviews and testimonials to get insights into the agency’s reputation and customer satisfaction.
- Communication: Effective communication is essential for a successful partnership. Choose an agency that has clear communication channels and is responsive to your queries and concerns.
2. Managing Your SharePoint Development Team
Once you have hired a SharePoint development agency, it is important to effectively manage your development team. Here are some tips for managing your SharePoint development team:
- Clear Goals and Expectations: Clearly define the goals and expectations for your SharePoint project. This will help your development team understand what needs to be achieved and stay focused on the project objectives.
- Regular Communication: Schedule regular meetings with your development team to discuss project progress, address any issues or concerns, and provide feedback. This will ensure that everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goals.
- Collaboration Tools: Use collaboration tools such as Microsoft Teams or SharePoint itself to facilitate communication and collaboration among team members. These tools allow for real-time document sharing, task management, and team collaboration.
- Agile Development Methodology: Consider adopting an agile development methodology, such as Scrum or Kanban, to manage your SharePoint project. Agile methodologies promote iterative development, frequent communication, and adaptability to changing requirements.
- Regular Progress Updates: Request regular progress updates from your development team. This will help you track the project’s progress and identify any potential issues or delays early on.
3. Outsourcing SharePoint Development vs. In-house Development
When building a SharePoint development team, you have the option to outsource the development work or hire in-house developers. Here are some factors to consider when deciding between outsourcing and in-house development:
- Cost: Outsourcing SharePoint development can be more cost-effective compared to hiring in-house developers. With outsourcing, you can save on recruitment, training, and infrastructure costs.
- Expertise: SharePoint development agencies often have a team of experienced developers who specialize in SharePoint development. By outsourcing, you can leverage their expertise and ensure high-quality development work.
- Flexibility: Outsourcing allows you to scale your development team up or down based on project requirements. This flexibility can be beneficial for organizations with fluctuating development needs.
- Control: In-house development gives you more control over the development process and allows for easier collaboration with other internal teams. However, this also means that you are responsible for recruitment, training, and managing the development team.
4. Building a Diverse SharePoint Development Team
A diverse SharePoint development team can bring a range of perspectives, skills, and experiences to your project. Here are some tips for building a diverse SharePoint development team:
- Gender Diversity: Encourage gender diversity in your development team by actively recruiting and promoting women in technology roles. This can help create a more inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Cultural Diversity: Embrace cultural diversity by hiring developers from different backgrounds and nationalities. This can bring fresh ideas and approaches to your SharePoint development projects.
- Skill Diversity: Build a team with a mix of skills and expertise. Consider hiring developers with different levels of experience, technical skills, and domain knowledge.
- Collaboration: Foster a collaborative work environment where team members can learn from each other and share their knowledge and expertise.
- Continuous Learning: Encourage your development team to continuously learn and upgrade their skills. Provide opportunities for training, certifications, and attending industry events.
Building a stellar SharePoint development team is crucial for the success of your SharePoint projects. By hiring the right SharePoint development agency, effectively managing your team, considering outsourcing options, and building a diverse team, you can ensure high-quality SharePoint development work and achieve your project goals.