Building a Strategic Intranet Development Roadmap for Success
An intranet is a powerful tool for organizations to improve internal communication, collaboration, and productivity. It provides a centralized platform for employees to access important information, documents, and resources. SharePoint is a popular choice for intranet development due to its robust features and flexibility. In this article, we will discuss the steps to build a strategic intranet development roadmap for success.
Benefits of SharePoint Intranet Development
Before diving into the roadmap, let’s first understand the benefits of SharePoint intranet development:
- Centralized Information: SharePoint allows organizations to store and organize all their important information in one place, making it easily accessible to employees.
- Improved Collaboration: SharePoint provides various collaboration features such as document sharing, version control, and real-time co-authoring, enabling teams to work together more efficiently.
- Enhanced Communication: SharePoint offers communication tools like discussion boards, blogs, and news feeds, facilitating better internal communication within the organization.
- Customization Options: SharePoint allows organizations to customize their intranet according to their specific needs and branding, providing a personalized user experience.
- Integration with Other Systems: SharePoint can be integrated with other systems and applications, such as Microsoft Office 365, CRM systems, and project management tools, streamlining workflows and increasing productivity.
Steps to Build a Strategic Intranet Development Roadmap
Now that we understand the benefits of SharePoint intranet development, let’s explore the steps to build a strategic roadmap:
1. Define Objectives and Goals
The first step is to clearly define the objectives and goals of your intranet. Identify the specific problems or challenges you want to address through the intranet and set measurable goals to track your progress. For example, your objectives could be to improve internal communication, streamline document management, and enhance collaboration among teams.
2. Conduct a Needs Assessment
Next, conduct a thorough needs assessment to identify the requirements and preferences of your employees. This can be done through surveys, interviews, or focus groups. Gather feedback on the current intranet (if any) and understand the pain points and areas for improvement. This will help you tailor the intranet to meet the specific needs of your organization.
3. Plan the Information Architecture
The information architecture of your intranet is crucial for its usability and effectiveness. Plan the structure and organization of content, ensuring that it is intuitive and easy to navigate. Consider creating different sites or subsites for different departments or teams, and establish clear permissions and access controls to maintain data security.
4. Design and Customize the Intranet
Once the information architecture is in place, it’s time to design and customize the intranet. Use SharePoint’s built-in design features or consider outsourcing SharePoint development to a specialized agency. A professional SharePoint development agency can help you create a visually appealing and user-friendly intranet that aligns with your organization’s branding and requirements.
5. Implement and Test the Intranet
After the design phase, it’s time to implement and test the intranet. Set up the necessary infrastructure, configure SharePoint settings, and migrate existing content to the new intranet. Conduct thorough testing to ensure that all features and functionalities are working as expected. Involve a group of employees in the testing phase to gather feedback and make any necessary improvements.
6. Train and Support Employees
Once the intranet is ready to be launched, provide comprehensive training and support to your employees. Conduct training sessions or create user guides to familiarize employees with the intranet’s features and functionalities. Establish a support system to address any issues or questions that may arise. Regularly communicate updates and improvements to keep employees engaged and encourage adoption of the intranet.
Outsourcing SharePoint Development for Custom Solutions
Building a SharePoint intranet requires technical expertise and resources. Outsourcing SharePoint development to a specialized agency can provide several benefits:
- Expertise: SharePoint development agencies have the necessary expertise and experience to build custom solutions that meet your organization’s unique requirements.
- Time and Cost Savings: Outsourcing SharePoint development can save time and cost compared to building an in-house development team. Agencies have streamlined processes and can deliver projects more efficiently.
- Access to Latest Technologies: SharePoint development agencies stay updated with the latest technologies and trends, ensuring that your intranet is built using the most advanced tools and features.
- Ongoing Support and Maintenance: A reputable SharePoint development agency will provide ongoing support and maintenance services, ensuring that your intranet remains secure and up-to-date.
Building a strategic intranet development roadmap is essential for the success of your organization’s intranet. By defining objectives, conducting a needs assessment, planning the information architecture, designing and customizing the intranet, implementing and testing, and providing training and support, you can ensure a successful intranet deployment. Consider outsourcing SharePoint development to a specialized agency for custom solutions and ongoing support. With a well-designed and user-friendly intranet, your organization can improve internal communication, collaboration, and productivity.