Is SharePoint On-Premise the Right Choice for Your Organization?
SharePoint is a powerful platform developed by Microsoft that allows organizations to create and manage websites, intranets, and content. It offers a wide range of features and capabilities that can enhance collaboration, document management, and communication within an organization. When considering implementing SharePoint, organizations have the option to choose between SharePoint On-Premise and SharePoint Online. In this article, we will explore the benefits and considerations of using SharePoint On-Premise for your organization’s intranet development.
Benefits of SharePoint On-Premise
SharePoint On-Premise offers several benefits that make it a suitable choice for organizations:
- Control and Security: With SharePoint On-Premise, organizations have full control over their data and infrastructure. This allows them to implement customized security measures and comply with industry-specific regulations.
- Customization and Flexibility: SharePoint On-Premise provides organizations with the flexibility to customize their intranet design and functionality according to their specific requirements. They can develop custom solutions and integrate them seamlessly with SharePoint.
- Integration with Existing Systems: Many organizations already have existing systems and applications in place. SharePoint On-Premise allows for easy integration with these systems, enabling a smooth transition and maximizing the value of existing investments.
- Performance and Scalability: SharePoint On-Premise offers better performance and scalability compared to SharePoint Online. Organizations can optimize their infrastructure to meet their specific performance requirements and scale as their needs grow.
- Offline Access: SharePoint On-Premise allows users to access and work on documents even when they are offline. This is particularly useful for organizations with remote or field-based employees who may not always have access to the internet.
Considerations for SharePoint On-Premise
While SharePoint On-Premise offers several benefits, there are also some considerations that organizations need to keep in mind:
- Cost: SharePoint On-Premise requires upfront investment in hardware, software licenses, and infrastructure setup. Organizations need to consider the total cost of ownership, including maintenance and support costs.
- IT Resources: Managing SharePoint On-Premise requires dedicated IT resources and expertise. Organizations need to ensure they have the necessary skills and resources to handle the installation, configuration, and ongoing maintenance of the platform.
- Upgrades and Updates: With SharePoint On-Premise, organizations are responsible for managing upgrades and updates. This includes testing and deploying new versions, which can be time-consuming and require careful planning.
- Availability and Accessibility: SharePoint On-Premise may not be as accessible as SharePoint Online, especially for remote or mobile users. Organizations need to consider the availability and accessibility requirements of their users before choosing the deployment option.
- Scalability: While SharePoint On-Premise offers scalability, organizations need to carefully plan and allocate resources to ensure smooth scalability. This may require additional investments in hardware and infrastructure.
SharePoint On-Premise can be the right choice for organizations that require full control, customization, and integration with existing systems. It offers enhanced security, flexibility, and performance compared to SharePoint Online. However, organizations need to carefully consider the cost, IT resources, and accessibility requirements before making a decision. It is recommended to consult with a SharePoint development agency to assess your organization’s needs and determine the best deployment option for your intranet development.