What to Expect in a SharePoint Developer Job?
SharePoint is a powerful platform developed by Microsoft that allows organizations to create websites, intranets, and collaboration spaces. As a SharePoint Developer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining SharePoint solutions to meet the needs of the organization. This article will explore the various aspects of a SharePoint Developer job, including the responsibilities, skills required, and opportunities in SharePoint development.
Responsibilities of a SharePoint Developer
As a SharePoint Developer, your primary responsibility is to develop and customize SharePoint solutions based on the requirements of the organization. This includes:
- Designing and developing SharePoint websites and intranets
- Creating custom web parts, workflows, and forms
- Integrating SharePoint with other systems and applications
- Managing and maintaining SharePoint sites and content
- Providing technical support and troubleshooting
- Training end-users on SharePoint functionality
Skills Required for SharePoint Development
To excel in a SharePoint Developer job, you need to have a strong set of technical skills and knowledge. Some of the key skills required for SharePoint development include:
- Proficiency in SharePoint development tools and technologies, such as SharePoint Designer, Visual Studio, and PowerShell
- Experience in developing SharePoint solutions using SharePoint Framework (SPFx), SharePoint Online, and SharePoint on-premise
- Understanding of SharePoint architecture and best practices
- Ability to design and implement SharePoint workflows and forms using tools like Microsoft Flow and PowerApps
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Opportunities in SharePoint Development
SharePoint development offers a wide range of opportunities for professionals in the IT industry. Some of the key opportunities in SharePoint development include:
- Working as a SharePoint Developer in an organization: Many organizations have their own SharePoint development teams or hire SharePoint developers to work on their projects. This allows you to work on a variety of projects and gain experience in different industries.
- Joining a SharePoint development agency: SharePoint development agencies specialize in providing SharePoint solutions and services to clients. Working in a SharePoint development agency allows you to work on diverse projects and collaborate with a team of experienced SharePoint professionals.
- Freelancing as a SharePoint Developer: If you prefer to work independently, you can offer your services as a freelance SharePoint Developer. This allows you to work on your own terms and choose the projects that interest you.
- Outsourcing SharePoint development: Many organizations outsource their SharePoint development projects to external vendors. This provides an opportunity for SharePoint developers to work on projects for different clients and gain exposure to different industries and technologies.
- Managed SharePoint services: Some organizations prefer to outsource the management and maintenance of their SharePoint sites to managed service providers. As a SharePoint Developer, you can work for a managed service provider and be responsible for managing and maintaining SharePoint sites for multiple clients.
A SharePoint Developer job offers a challenging and rewarding career path for professionals in the IT industry. With the increasing demand for SharePoint solutions and services, there are ample opportunities for SharePoint developers to grow and excel in their careers. By acquiring the necessary skills and knowledge, you can become a valuable asset to organizations looking to leverage the power of SharePoint for their websites, intranets, and collaboration spaces.